Monday, August 30, 2010

Interesting Stuff about readability, type, and roads that affects just about everyone

I ran across this New York Times article about Clearview, a typeface designed to replace the aging Highway Gothic font used on all of America's roadsigns. The article talks about the details that make a font more readable in the first place, and what the designers had to go through to create type that eventually was a great improvement over the existing standard established in the 1940s.

Clearview is slowly debuting as governments all over the US replace aging signs.

3 comments:

  1. I love the way names, like "clearview", for example, almost instantly bias the way we examine imagery- in this case, type as image. That said, the small serif detail placed on the "l" looks very modern and distinct; making the readability "clear", if you will. The major difference I notice, though, is the numbering. I just realized how terrible that original 6 was! Its replacement is definitely more easily understood at first glance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, it's all about marketing — in this case, the old clichè, "What's in a name?"
    The interesting thing is, unlike a font like Helvetica, Arial, or the ubiquitous Times New Roman, most of the people who "use" Clearview every day won't know what they're reading. I didn't know the original had a name until I read this article — I always just thought of it as "the road sign font," or something to that effect.
    I think, though, one of the most satisfying feelings in graphic design, art, and the creation of some sort of product in general is when people catch on to your intention without needing a caption, title, or explanation.

    ReplyDelete