Sunday, September 5, 2010

P1 Concept (Chris Thomas)

I am a person with 19 years experience. Relatively, that's not too long , but it is enough time that I am a complex human being who has experienced many events, done many things, and established a vast web of associations and connections.

Aren't we all? In that sense, it is imperative that in boiling myself down to a logotype, I am concise and clear. I remember reading a talk Milton Glaser once gave, and in it he said , "Just enough is more." So that's where I aim to be.

The first thing I started with was not the personal and professional elements of me I want to communicate, but exactly what "me" I wanted to communicate. I ran down a whole list of all the things I use to identify myself, and I went from there. My name is my raw material in this project. Unfortunately, my name is not exclusive. I'm already a retired football player, record producer, politician, and author — to name a few. I want to experiment to see what stands out as the most memorable name for myself, be it a nickname, my initials, etc. I feel like that's one of my most important design challenges while working this through. Beyond that, I want to incorporate my geography, where I am and where I grew, (Florida), because I feel that is one of the blanket elements that has shaped me the most as a person, and also relates back to my history before me — my parents and grandparents all spent much of their lives here.

I have more specific ideas that I hope to get into with you all and hash out visually. Ultimately, I hope that by working in these parameters I can come to a concise and elegant solution.

1 comment:

  1. Great, Chris. I noted some important things in your writing: the keywords complex, association, (sense of) place, and concise. These things can be mayor in the development of your logo. The questions now is how can typefaces, color, hierarchy, etc reflect this concepts? Adding the place where you are from is also a nice challenge, you should start thinking on the characteristics of Florida, maybe color palettes, traditions...

    ReplyDelete