Saturday, September 4, 2010

P1 Concept : Jessica Stoun

Socially, we like to brand ourselves on  monogrammed towels, backpacks, and underwear. Corporately, we create identity by stamping logotype on the products we sell. Highlighting the overlap between these social and corporate branding phenomena, I'm trying to define how my possessions -especially clothing- could possibly describe my identity in a marketable sense. I realized that, for me, possession is mostly an excuse to share --my style, my personality, my mood. All of that takes place in a figurative sense. Ultimately, I'd like to find where the literal sense could be integrated into my own logotype. It would have to represent the actual act of sharing and incorporate ideas of evolution. Evolution because, sharing my personality through a marketable concept is in itself a way of spreading one's "genes", or identity. I'd like to take a second look at the idea of being a consumer or promoting consumerism as something self-gaining, as it is in our own self-interest to promote the spread of our own ideology; but also as something that be simultaneously altruistic, as in sharing. Thus, with my logotype I will ensure that my identity will spread and endure through others, while they gain from what I have to share.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting, Jessica. I think you should definitely visually explore the ideas of sharing and evolution. Think about this: how can these words be visualized? What other ideas relate to them that could define how they look? Why is sharing with others and evolution so important? And, what colors, textures, forms, lines, etc could be good ways to represent those concepts? From that point on, you will start having a collection of visual hints that will shape the final logotype. So, start small, doodle, sketch some possibilities, and then, we will start narrowing down more concrete possibilities.

    ReplyDelete